Strawberry Celebration at Home
Strawberry Field of Dreams Forever Cupcake
For the cupcakes:
- 2 C cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 1 C buttermilk
- 3 tsp vanilla
For the topping:
- 2-3 baskets fresh ripe strawberries (purchased from your local farmer is best!)
- 0-4 Tbsps sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 C heavy cream or coconut cream
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Line a standard muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until smooth.
- Scoop about a 1/3 cup of batter for each cupcake, so each one is about 2/3 full.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20-22 minutes, or until the cake springs back gently in the middle and is light golden on top. I’d start checking at 18 minutes, as you want to err on the side of pulling them too early rather than too late. (Just a side note, I always rotate my cupcakes and cakes halfway through the baking time.)
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack for five minutes. Then remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely – still on the wire rack.
To make the topping:
- Triple wash 2-3 baskets of ripe strawberries Cut the tops off and 1/4 them
- Place all the strawberries in a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. If you’d like, you can add some sugar. We like them just as they are. Makes us feel less guilty, since we are putting them on cupcakes 😉 we aren’t fooling anyone though.
- Mash Strawberries to a consistency that is most desirable to you.
- We prefer them on the chunkier side.
- Cover strawberries and stick in fridge until you are ready to serve the cupcakes.
- Put a mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer for 15 min.
- Remove Pour 1 cup heavy whipping cream or coconut cream in the bowl with 1 and a 1/2 TBLS of sugar. (Sometimes we do less, depending on how sweet the strawberries are. Omitting the sugar here is totally fine too!)
- Whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Take out chilled strawberries and top cake with a generous amount.
- Pipe or spoon whipped cream on top of strawberries.
A note from Amanda and Chandler at Eclair Bakery:
Feel free to put a spin on this recipe if you’d like! We love Basil and strawberry together. Chop up some fresh basil and put a pinch of that over the whipped cream. Do whatever pleases your taste profile, make it your own!
Have fun be safe and enjoy!